Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Biking Day 4: Doi Saket to MaeTeng

Okay, this was an insane day. Over 80km with a ton of nasty hills that you could only find in Thailand. More than once we were shaking our fists at Hans. Still, it was great fun and we found a wonderful waterfall.

Yeah, yeah. . . I was in the back again. Don't remind me.


One thing that Monet craved during most on this trip was a good baked item. "I would kill for a decent scone in Thailand!" Well, today was her lucky day. She found her baked good. Although. . . there was some strange green goo on it.


In the morning, we had to knock off some nasty hills. "No problem," said Leaf. "I didn't walk once."


Buddha poses


"Come on, dad, this is not the time for ice cream."
"But I climbed those big hills."
"I know you did. . . and you did a great job. But wait until after lunch."


Hey, get out of the road little fellow. .. and stop eating my sticky rice!


There were some single tracks in Thailand that Hans sent us down. . . but they could lead to unpredictable places. This one went to a small trash dump.


Bua Tong Sticky Waterfalls


After the tough climbs, we stopped for some fun at the Bua Tong waterfalls. They were easy to climb, but make sure you don't floop.






We survived the big day with the hard climbs. To celebrate, I made a quick video of Leaf biking. The shaky camera work is my fault. . . trying to film from a Nikon hanging around my neck was a challenge. The reason why the video ends, is we hit an unexpected stop sign and I tumbled over my handlebars. . . I somehow managed to stop filming before the wreck (darn!). Okay, here you go!

At the end of the day we biked past a large number of elephant sanctuaries. We got to see both the good and bad of elephant care in Thailand. I'll leave you with a picture of some handlers at one of the sanctuaries. The next day was another 80k day, but it was a lot of down hill, back to Chiang Mai and the Little Village.


NEXT DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment